If English isn’t your first language and you want to live or study abroad, odds are you will have to write an international proficiency test. There are several proficiency exams out there and you need to figure out which one is the right one for you.

exam_multiplechoiceThose of you immigrating to Canada, for example, will have to write the IELTS General Training (attention, there are two different IELTS exams for different purposes: General Training and Academic), or CELPIP, which is a Canadian English Language Proficiency test.

If you are considering Australia as your new home, in addition to the IELTS General Training, you can also write the Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic, the TOEFL test or a Cambridge C1 Advanced test.

For universities, however, you must write the IELTS Academic test, TOEFL or the Cambridge Exams.

With so many options out there, how do you go about choosing the exam that is right for you?

Do you prefer to write your answers on paper or type on a computer? If you are the computer type, you can write CELPIP, TOEFL and PTE. Now, if you are more of a pen and paper kind of person, your choices are IELTS and the Cambridge Exams.

Location and dates are also important. Depending on where you live, some tests might not be available. At the exception of the Cambridge Exams, that are typically held twice a year, the other exams can be booked fairly frequently. If there is no time to waste, Cambridge might not be your choice.

Now that you know more about proficiency exams, are you ready to start? Vertices Language Coaching offers online test preparation classes and support. Contact us for more information on our customized study plan made specially for you.

Learn more about IELTS and TOEFL here.

One thought on “What you need to know before you choose your proficiency exam

Comments are closed.